Davidstow Cornish Rarebit
This is the ultimate grilled cheese recipe with a Cornish twist on the traditional rarebit. We’ve used a bottle of local Doombar and some wholegrain mustard to complement our Classic 12 month cheddar. Grill until the rich cheese sauce bubbles and serve with some sauerkraut or red tomato chutney.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Skill level: Easy
• 100g Davidstow Cheddar 12 month Classic, grated
• 50 ml Doombar Ale
• 50 ml Double Cream
• 50g Butter
• 50ml Milk
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
• 1 egg yolk
• Pinch of nutmeg
• Sourdough bread
1. Melt your butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Preheat your oven or grill to 180˚C.
2. Next once the butter and flour turn into a roux paste, add your nutmeg, splash of ale, cream and milk gradually. Continue stirring until the white sauce thickens.
3. Then add your mustard and the grated cheese. Once the cheese melts take off the heat and add in an egg yolk to help it thicken further.
4. Spread generously on a piece of toasted sourdough and grill in the oven for 10 minutes.
Buy your cheese online
This recipe uses Davidstow Classic cheese. You can now buy our cheeses online. Click below to shop now.
You may also like
Davidstow cheese ploughmans
Add some Cornish charm to your ploughman’s with our Davidstow Crackler cheese. It is complex and creamy but with a crumbly texture like the rugged north coasts of Cornwall.
Davidstow cheese & mushroom crepes
These Breton inspired crepes are delicious for breakfast or a light lunch. They are rich and decadent whilst also tasting light and well balanced.
Davidstow cheese and onion pasty
This is our Cornish cheese and onion pasty that celebrates the classic combination of matured cheddar and aromatic allium