Davidstow Cheese & Leek Croquettes
Often you will find that you have leftover bread at the end of the week. This recipe provides yesterday’s bread with a second lease of life, to coat our rich cheese croquettes. They are perfect as a starter or lunchtime meal and the leek balances the mature aged cheddar and creamy mashed potato. Serve with salad and mustard mayonnaise.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Skill level: Easy
• 150g 12 month Davidstow Cheddar, grated
• 4 potatoes, peeled, chopped and mashed
• 1 leek, finely sliced
• 50g butter
• 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
• Pinch of salt and pepper
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 3 beaten eggs
• 100g breadcrumbs
• Vegetable oil for frying
1. Soften your chopped leeks in butter for 5-10 mins and then add in your mustard, seasoning, and grated cheese. Stir for 2-3 minutes and then remove from the heat.
2. Combine with cooled mashed potato and form into 12-16 croquettes.
3. Then roll your croquettes in plain flour and dip them in beaten egg. Transfer to a bowl with breadcrumbs to coat them.
4. Once you’ve coated all your cheesy croquettes preheat your veg oil to 180˚C and fry each croquette for 3-4 mins until golden brown.
5. Serve with mustard mayo and salad.
Buy your cheese online
This recipe uses Davidstow Classic cheese. You can now buy our cheeses online. Click below to shop now.
Davidstow Cheese & Herb Twists
These cheese twists are perfect for the whole family. The mature tang of aged cheddar works perfectly with the sweet shallot, spring onions and bright chive.
Davidstow rosemary & cheese scones
Our Davidstow twist on a classic cream tea. This West Country favourite has real depth of flavour from Crackler grated into the cheesy scones, with lemon and rosemary.